Veteran Education Benefits


McMurry University is dedicated to providing excellent service to our active duty service members, veterans and their families. From your first step in Admissions to the day you graduate, McMurry strives to assist all students in achieving academic success. McMurry supports our military students in the following ways:

  • Principles of Excellence
  • STEM Scholarship Program
  • Yellow Ribbon Program
  • Credit for Military Training
  • Credit for CLEP exams

Our programs are approved by the VA for students to use their Veteran Benefits for educational purposes. Students wishing to use education benefits need to contact the University VA Certifying Official, Krystal Altigieri, located on the campus of McMurry University in the Maedgen Administration Building, room #106, or at 325-793-3813 or School Certifying Official (SCO) serves as a liaison between the university and the VA. The SCO is employed by the university, not the VA.

All appropriate documentation must be provided before the end of the first semester of attendance at McMurry University to continue using educational benefits from Veterans Affairs.

Eligible students can use one of the following Veteran Education benefits:

  • Chapter 30 Montgomery GI BILL ®
  • Chapter 33 Post 911 GI BILL® (Effective August 1, 2009)*
  • Chapter 35 Survivors’ and Dependents’ Education Assistance Program (DEA)
  • Chapter 1606 Reservists

*McMurry University participates in the YELLOW RIBBON PROGRAM. This program is for students using the POST 9/11 GI BILL ® who are eligible at the 100% rate.

Hazlewood Act:

McMurry University is a private institution and cannot participate in the Hazlewood Act. This benefit can be used at public or state institutions in the State of TX.

General GI Bill ® Information:

  • Students wishing to use chapter(s) 30, 33, 35, and 1606 can apply to use their benefits directlywith the Department of Veterans Affairs at
  • Students using Chapters 30 and 1606, have to verify enrollment ( with the Department of Veterans Affairs at the end of each month. This can be done from the GI Bill ® website, or via phone 1-877-823-2378.

Required Documentation must be submitted before the end of the first semester at McMurry University:

  • VA “Letter or Certificate of Eligibility," or similar document, must be submitted to the VA Certifying Official before the first certification to receive educational benefits.
  • Transcripts (including military transcripts) from all colleges/universities/military branch attended prior to McMurry
  • High School Transcript (for some students only)
  • DD-214 (for retired or separated veterans only)

Veteran Readiness and Employment:

Formerly known as Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, or Chapter 31, covers non-active duty veterans who have sustained some form of disability during the time they were serving in the United States Armed Forces. A student falling under this chapter of veterans’ benefits will first have to contact Department of Veterans Affairs office in Abilene located at 1150 Estates Dr., Ste. B or 325-677-1503. Once approval is granted, the Department of Veterans Affairs will provide documentation directly to McMurry University authorizing enrollment.With the exception of the “Letter of Eligibility”, the same documentation required of other GI Bill ® chapter recipients is also required for Veteran Readiness and Employment recipients (listed above under “Documentation for GI Bill ®”).

Useful Links:

*GI Bill ® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs